A COVID-19 outbreak has been declared after seven patients tested positive in an elderly care unit at Richmond Hospital.
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) confirmed the outbreak, in the 4 North Acute Care for the Elderly Unit, in a statement Friday night.
The unit is now closed to new admissions and transfers, while all non-essential visits — except for essential care or compassionate visits at the end of life — have been suspended until outbreak measures are lifted, VCH said.
"Richmond Hospital remains open and is prepared to safely receive and care for all individuals who require urgent and emergent care," reads VCH's statement. "Please do not delay in seeking care as this could worsen your condition."
To prevent further transmission of the virus, VCH has implemented:
- Careful monitoring of patients, staff and physicians
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfection of all high-touch surfaces
- Closing the unit to patient admissions and transfers
- Cohorting of staff to the affected areas
- Self-monitoring or self-isolation of staff/physicians as part of Public Health contact tracing