Coronavirus: Risk to Canadians still "low"

The risk to Canadians from coronavirus “continues to be low,” according to Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, Dr. Theresa Tam.

Tam told media around noon today that, of the seven cases confirmed in the country so far, the patients are “recovering well or have recovered.”

article continues below

“Our advice remains the same, self-isolate for 14 days if you’ve travelled recently from China,” added Tam.

“All travellers from mainland China are being asked to monitor themselves for symptoms.”

She said that “misinformation and rumour continues to create confusion and undermine the response to the disease,” urging people once more to stick to reputable sources for updates on the virus’ spread.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), as of Monday morning, there were 40 554 confirmed cases globally (3,085 new).

In China, there has been 40,235 confirmed cases (3,073 new) and 909 deaths (97 new).

Outside of China, there are 319 confirmed cases (12 new) across 24 countries and one death.

Seven cases have been confirmed in Canada, four of those in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, which includes Richmond.

Read Related Topics

© Richmond News