A beauty queen who allegedly took part in last years infamous Stanley Cup riot has decided to plead not guilty.
The lawyer for Sophie Laboissonniere, 20, had indicated earlier this year that his client wanted to enter a guilty plea and that he was in negotiations with the Crown.
But on Tuesday at the B.C. Provincial Court in Vancouver, Laboissonniere pleaded not guilty to breaking and entering and participating in a riot after the Stanley Cup Final last June.
"It was her intention from the outset, ever since she was identified, to enter a guilty plea," her lawyer, David Baker, said in January.
According to Baker at the time, she was "doing everything she can to atone" for what was a bad, impulsive decision, he said.
"She is taking responsibility for what she has done."
The former McMath secondary student is alleged to have looted London Drugs during the riot. Last year, she was crowned Miss Congeniality at a Miss Coastal Vancouver pageant.
Her eight-day trial will now not kick off until April 2013.
Meanwhile, the Vancouver Police Department has recommended riot-related charges against three more Richmondites.
Christopher Moewes, 24, Harkamal Bhullar, 18, and Rajinder Sandhu, 23, are all alleged to have taken part in the riot.