Skip to content

2nd fatal shooting in 3 days in Richmond

A man in his 20s had died after a shooting near Lansdowne and No. 3 roads late Saturday night
Richmond RCMP say a man his 20s was shot Saturday night. File photo

A man in his 20s is dead after a shooting in Richmond late Saturday night – the second in the city in the past three days.

Richmond RCMP and BC Emergency Health Services were called to a residence in the 8100-block of Lansdowne Road, near Lansdowne Mall, around 11:50 p.m.

There they found the victim, who had “apparently suffered multiple gunshot wounds,” RCMP said.

He has since succumbed to his injuries.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) and Richmond RCMP Serious Crime Unit are on scene. Traffic in the area is not likely to be affected as police continue their investigation, said RCMP.

IHIT is expected to provide an update to the shooting Sunday afternoon. 

Saturday’s shooting is the second in Richmond in the past three days. Over the past two weeks, there have been six shootings in Metro Vancouver, five of which have been fatal.

In a separate incident, Coquitlam RCMP said they responded to a shooting around 1:03 a.m. on Sunday in the 1400-block of Kingston Street, where they found one man with gunshot wounds who was taken to hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. Shortly afterwards, police found a vehicle on fire in the 3500-block of Gislason Ave, which is believed to be connected to that shooting.

It's unclear if the Coquitlam shooting is related to the Lower Mainland gang conflict, Coquitlam RCMP said. 

On Thursday night, Richmond RCMP responded to a shooting near Steveston Community Park, which investigators said they believe is related to the Lower Mainland gang conflict. The victim of that shooting has been identified as 29-year-old Anees Mohammed. 

The day before Mohammed was shot in Steveston, 24-year-old gangster Gary Kang was killed in Surrey.

In late December 2020, 19-year-old Harman Singh Dhesi and a 14-year-old boy were killed in targeted shootings in Surrey a day apart, on Dec. 27 and Dec. 28.