A toy drive to celebrate the legacy of a generous community member is returning to Richmond on Sunday.
The 17th annual Victor Ghirra toy drive will be held at Riverside Palace on Dec. 10 and organizers are hoping to reach a milestone donation of 50,000 toys.
Held in memory of Ghirra, who was known as the "Secret Santa" who donated toys at BC Children's Hospital, the toy drive has collected more than 47,650 toys for kids in need over the past 16 years.
Community members are invited to bring a new and unwrapped toy to the outdoor toy drive at Riverside Palace and enjoy getting their photos taken in the Winter Wonderland photobooth.
This year, toys will be donated to 17 organizations including:
- BC Children's Hospital Foundation
- Family Services North Shore
- Helping Hands Children's Centre
- Keian's Holiday Wish Toy Drive
- Kids Play
- Lower Mainland Christmas Bureau
- NightShift Street Ministries - Care Centre
- Options Community Services
- Ray-Cam Cooperative Centre
- Richmond Christmas Fund
- Richmond Food Bank
- Surrey Christmas Bureau
- Second Stage Women's Centre
- Two local schools
The Victor Ghirra toy drive will be held from 12 to 2 p.m. on Sunday at Riverside Palace at 14431 Knox Way.
- With files from Valerie Leung.