The shooting of a teenager in Richmond last week was not connected to the gun-related fatal incidents in Surrey a few days before.
Richmond RCMP confirmed to the News that the incident that sent a 19-year-old male to hospital last Tuesday night had nothing to do with the two fatal shootings in Surrey.
Asked if the Richmond victim was known to police, a spokesperson for the RCMP confirmed he was, but clarified that they don’t suspect there to be any ties to organized crime or the ongoing Lower Mainland gang conflict.
The News reported last week how Mounties were called around 10:30 p.m. on Dec. 29 to Jones Road, just north of Blundell and No. 3 roads.
Officers arrived in the area to find the victim bleeding from what appeared to be a gun-shot injury.
The lone victim was then taken to hospital where he has since been released, and is expected to recover from his injuries.
“Through the course of the investigation, we have learned that the shooting was targeted, and suspects have been identified,” said Const. Kenneth Lau said last week.
“Therefore, there is no ongoing risk to the public.”
Anyone with information about this incident or video surveillance in the area are being asked to contact the Richmond RCMP at 604-278-1212. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or www.solvecrime.ca, quoting file number 2020-35460