Skip to content

Cigarette butt may have caused brush fire near Richmond mall, says police

The fire was quickly extinguished by a Richmond RCMP officer.
A Richmond RCMP officer put out a brush fire near a Richmond mall.

Community members are asked to be careful when discarding cigarette butts following a brush fire incident last week.

A Richmond RCMP officer on patrol extinguished a brush fire on July 7 near the Richmond Centre parking lot in the 6500 block of No. 3 Road.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette butt, according to Richmond RCMP.

"This incident highlights the importance of properly handling ignited articles such as cigarette butts,"  said Insp. Mike Roberts, operations officer of Richmond RCMP. 

"With the current dry weather, even a small spark can lead to a potentially dangerous situation. We urge all residents to be extra cautious and responsible."

Community members are asked to be vigilant during the dry weather and extinguish cigarette butts properly before disposing of them safely.

Got an opinion on this story or any others in Richmond? Send us a letter or email your thoughts or story tips to [email protected]. To stay updated on Richmond news, sign up for our daily headline newsletter.