If camping pots were something you bought in the last two years, you may need to do a quick check.
Health Canada issued a consumer recall for thousands of camping pots sold between January 2019 and November 2020.
The recalls involve the matte grey Alpha and the polished stainless steel and black Sigma Pots, which both have a black latch and no screw. The pots were sold in the 1.2, 1.9, 2.7- and 3.7-litre sizes.
According to Health Canada, if the latch on the pots loosens, it may release the handle from the pot and causing it to become unstable resulting in a “burn or scald” hazard.
As of January 13, 2021, the company has received three reports of scald or burn injuries in Canada. In the U.S., there were ten reports of the latch disengaging, but no injuries.
The company reported 2,050 of the affected products were sold in Canada and 16,208 were sold in the United States; they were manufacture in China.
Nine Alpha cookware/sets are recalled:
- Alpha Pot 1.2 Litre SKU 9327868080694
- Alpha Pot 1.9 Litre SKU 9327868084487
- Alpha Pot 2.7 Litre SKU 9327868080700
- Alpha Pot 3.7 Litre SKU 9327868080717
- Alpha Cook Set 1.1 - 1.2 Liter pot, 1 bowl, 1 mug SKU 9327868084500
- Alpha Cook Set 2.1 - 1.9 Liter pot, 2 bowls, 2 mugs SKU 9327868084494
- Alpha Pot Set 2.0 - 1.2 Liter pot & 2.7 Liter pot SKU 9327868080748
- Alpha 2 Pot Cook Set 2.2 - 1.2 Liter pot, 2.7 Liter pot, 2 bowls, 2 mugs SKU 9327868080755
- Alpha 2 Pot Cook Set 4.2 - 2.7 Liter pot, 3.7 9327868097661 pot, 4 bowls, 4 mugs SKU 9327868080762
Eight Sigma cookware/sets are recalled:
- Sigma Pot 1.2 Liter SKU 9327868097661
- Sigma Pot 1.9 Liter SKU 9327868099016
- Sigma Pot 2.7 Liter SKU 9327868097678
- Sigma Pot 3.7 Liter SKU 9327868097685
- Sigma Pot Set 2.0 - 1.2 Liter pot & 2.7 Liter pot SKU 9327868097715
- Sigma Cook Set 1.1 - 1.2 Liter pot, 1 bowl, 1 mug SKU 9327868097722
- Sigma Cook Set 2.1 - 1.9 Liter pot, 2 bowls, 2 mugs SKU 9327868097739
- Sigma 2 Pot Cook Set 2.2 - 1.2 Liter pot, 2.7 Liter pot, 2 bowls, 2 mugs SKU 9327868097746
What consumers should do
Those who have purchased the recalled product should immediately stop using it.
For more information, contact the company Sea to Summit at 1-888-201-4911 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. MST Monday to Friday or visit the company’s website.
Please note that the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or even given away in Canada.
Health Canada is reminding Canadians to report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product or any other consumer product or cosmetic by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.
This recall is also posted on the OECD Global Portal on Product Recalls website. You can visit this site for more information on other international consumer product recalls.