With the Canada Day holiday comes a long weekend for most of us, but in 2018 July 1 falls on a Sunday, so Monday, July 2 is when many businesses take the day off.
Wondering just how much you can get done on that bonus Monday after spending your Sunday enjoying Vancouver’s many Canada Day celebrations? Here’s what is open and closed for Canada Day in Vancouver in 2018.
- Canada Post will not deliver on July 2; however, post offices operated by the private sector will be open according to the hours of service of the host business.
- All banks will be closed on July 2.
- Vancouver Public Library branches will be closed on July 2, however those branches that usually operate on Sundays will remain open on July 1. The Carnegie branch will NOT close for the holiday on July 2.
- TransLink will operate on a Sunday/holiday schedule on July 1, however many routes will have extra/extended service in the evenings to accommodate late night events. On July 2 they will run on a Sunday/holiday schedule. West Coast Express will not operate on July 2, and Access Transit Customer Care, Compass Customer Service Centre, and Lost Property Office will all be closed July 2. See all Canada Day details online here.
- Richmond and Vancouver's city halls will be closed July 2
- City of Richmond and Vancouver community centre, fitness centres, and pool closures vary by location; a full list of each facility’s holiday hours is available online.
- City of Vancouver golf courses (Fraserview, Langara, McCleery) will be open both days, dawn to dusk.
- Most major grocery stores will be open on both days, though some locations may operate reduced hours. Costco will be open on Sunday, July 1, however their locations will all be closed in B.C. on July 2.
- We might not be used to this yet, but many BC Liquor Store locations will be open on Canada Day and on the Monday holiday. Use their store locator to confirm the hours of the store nearest you. Similarly, private liquor stores may be open one or both days.
- Most malls and shopping centres will be open both days. Pacific Centre will be open 11 am to 7 pm on July 1 and regular hours (10 am to 7 pm) on July 2.