Skip to content

CRA says time running out for Canadians to make tax relief requests

Deadline is Dec. 31
The Canada Revenue Agency headquarters in Ottawa.

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) isn’t wishing you a Happy New Year, but it is sending out a helpful reminder as 2021 winds to a close.

The CRA says taxpayers and registrants have until Dec. 31, 2021, to make a taxpayer relief request related to the 2011 tax year or reporting period.

“Taxpayers that want to ask for penalty or interest relief, must send their request within 10 years from the end of the calendar year or fiscal period of concern,” says a news release. “The CRA may also cancel interest and penalties that accrued within 10 calendar years of the year the taxpayer relief request is made, regardless of the tax year or reporting period in which the debt originated.”

According to the CRA, this year's deadline applies to taxpayer relief requests for:

  • the 2011 tax year;
  • any reporting period that ended during the 2011 calendar year; and
  • any interest and penalties that accrued during the 2011 calendar year for any tax year or reporting period.

“If you are involved in a tax process with the CRA, including an audit, objection, or appeal for the 2011 tax year, or a reporting period that ended in 2011, and are not sure if you need to make a taxpayer relief request, then you should make a request before the Dec. 31, 2021, deadline,” said the CRA. “You or your authorized representative can make a request to cancel penalties or interest online using the CRA My Account, My Business Account or Represent a Client services by selecting ‘Request relief of penalties and interest’ under ‘Related services.’”

For more information about how to submit documents online, go to