Skip to content

Lord to continue day parole for six more months

Derik Lord still maintains his innocence to this day.
Derik Lord has been granted another six-month extension of his day parole.

Derik Lord has been granted another six-month extension of his day parole.

The Parole Board of Canada first granted him day parole in March 2020. His day parole has been continued three times since.

In their latest ruling, which was rendered on Jan. 6 and released to the Optimist this week, the Parole Board authorized the leave to four nights a week at the home of his spouse in northern B.C. and three nights a week at a halfway house.

Several special conditions have been imposed including: a geographical restriction to not travel to Vancouver Island or the Lower Mainland; no contact with any person Lord may know or have reason to believe is involved in criminal activity and or substance abuse; and no direct or indirect contact with the deceased victims’ families, including extended family members and crown witnesses.

In his latest application, Lord asked the Parole Board to allow him to travel to Chilliwack, where some of his family members reside, but the Parole Board denied that request.

He was also looking to spend five nights per week at the home of his spouse and two nights at a halfway house.

“The Board has received several victim impact statements expressing significant objection to you travelling to Chilliwack,” wrote the board. “Victims state that they would be afraid if you were permitted to be so close to their communities and that some of them travel to Chilliwack from time to time and would be afraid and harmed if they ran into you there.

“Given the victims concerns and requests for protection, and the lack of information about how this requested change would contribute to your reintegration, the Board is not changing the wording of this special condition. The special condition limiting your travel to certain geographic locations remains imposed as it is considered reasonable and necessary to protect the victims.”

Lord was one of three teenagers convicted in a 1990 double murder case in Tsawwassen.

He still maintains his innocence to this day.

Lord and David Muir were hired by Darren Huenemann to kill Huenemann’s mother and grandmother, Sharon Huenemann and Doris Leatherbarrow, in a murder-for-hire plot.

The two were promised part of a $4-million inheritance

All three were convicted in 1992.

The three teens lived in Saanich at the time of the murder and at trial the prosecution said that on Oct. 5, 1990, Huenemann and his girlfriend dropped Lord and Muir off at the ferry terminal.

The pair then went to Leatherbarrow's Tsawwassen home and, after being invited in for dinner by the two women, bludgeoned and stabbed them to death.

The two teens then took the ferry home and were picked up by Huenemann and his girlfriend.

Lord and Muir were both sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 10 years.

Huenemann received a life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years.

After his conviction, Muir, who pleaded not guilty at trial, admitted his role in the murders and has been out on parole for over a decade.

He was granted day parole in April 2002 and full parole a year later.

Huenemann five years ago appeared before the parole board at his Quebec prison for the first time where his parole request was denied.