B.C. set a grim new record December 10, with 28 new COVID-19-related deaths in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of deaths from the virus in the province to 587.
"All but two of these people were elders or seniors, who were in long-term care homes in various places across B.C.," provincial health officer Bonnie Henry told media.
The rising number of deaths has followed a rise in the number of people actively infected with the virus, which now stands at a record 9,524. The vast majority of those people are self-isolating at home, although 346 are in hospital, including a record 83 people in intensive care units.
More than 72%, or 28,948 of the 40,060 people who have contracted the virus since it first appeared in the province in late January, have recovered.
Health officials are now monitoring a record 11,947 people for symptoms because they are known to have had contact with individuals who have the virus.
There were 723 new COVID-19 cases identified overnight. Fraser Health remains the largest source for new infections, and here is a breakdown of the new cases by health region:
• 135 in Vancouver Coastal Health;
• 456 in Fraser Health;
• 10 in Island Health;
• 82 in Interior Health; and
• 40 in Northern Health.
There were no new outbreaks at healthcare facilities, and provincial health officer Bonnie Henry said that the outbreak at Burnaby Hospital is over. That facility has had multiple outbreaks, however, and the province still lists Burnaby Hospital as being a place with at least one active outbreak. Henry said the outbreak at Rotary Manor in Dawson Creek is over.
This leaves 65 active outbreaks at healthcare facilities, such as hospitals and seniors homes.
B.C.'s eight hospitals with outbreaks are:
• University Hospital of Northern B.C. in Prince George;
• West Coast General Hospital in Port Alberni;
• Saanich Peninsula Hospital in Saanichton;
• Langley Memorial Hospital in Langley;
• Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver;
• Burnaby Hospital in Burnaby;
• Richmond Hospital in Richmond; and
• Surrey Memorial Hospital in Surrey.
The seniors' facilities include 13 active outbreaks in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, at:
• Arbutus Care Centre in Vancouver;
• Banfield Pavilion, in Vancouver;
• Revera Capilano Care Centre in West Vancouver;
• Columbus Residence in Vancouver;
• Crofton Manor in Vancouver;
• German Canadian Care Home in Vancouver;
• Little Mountain Place in Vancouver;
• Renfrew Care Centre in Vancouver;
• Royal Arch Masonic Home long-term care facility in Vancouver;
• St. Judes Anglican Home in Vancouver;
• Three Links Care Centre long-term care facility in Vancouver;
• Villa Cathay Care Home in Vancouver; and
• Windermere Care Centre in Vancouver.
The 36 outbreaks at seniors' facilities in the Fraser Health region include:
• Agassiz Seniors Community in Agassiz;
• Agecare Harmony Court Estates in Burnaby;
• Agecare Court Estates in Burnaby;
• Al Hogg Pavilion in White Rock;
• Amenida Seniors Community in Surrey;
• Amica White Rock in White Rock;
• Baillie House long-term care home in Maple Ridge;
• Belvedere Care Centre in Coquitlam;
• Bradley Centre in Chilliwack;
• CareLife Fleetwood in Surrey;
• Chartwell Langley Gardens in Langley;
• Chilliwack Lifestyles in Chilliwack;
• Courtyard Terrace in Burnaby;
• Fellburn Care Centre long-term care facility in Burnaby;
• Finnish Manor in Burnaby;
• Fleetwood Villa Retirement Residence in Surrey;
• Fort Langley Seniors Community in Fort Langley;
• George Derby Centre in Burnaby;
• Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre 2 long-term care facility in Delta;
• Harrison Pointe retirement home in Langley;
• Harrison at Elim Village in Surrey;
• Hollyrood Manor long-term care home in Maple Ridge;
• Lakeshore Care Centre in Coquitlam;
• Langley Gardens in Langley;
• Laurel Place long-term care facility in Surrey;
• Menno Home in Abbotsford;
• Morgan Place Care Society in Surrey;
• Northcrest Care Centre in Delta;
• Peace Arch Hospital Foundation Lodge in Surrey;
• PICS Assisted Living in Surrey;
• Queen's Park Care Centre in New Westminster;
• Royal City Manor in New Westminster;
• Tabor Home in Abbotsford;
• The Residence at Clayton Heights in Surrey;
• The Residence in Mission; and
• White Rock Senior Village in White Rock.
There are two outbreaks at seniors' homes in Northern Health: North Peace Seniors Housing Society buildings in Fort St. John and Gateway House long-term care home in Prince George.
Two outbreaks are at seniors' living facilities in the Island Health region: Tsawaayuss-Rainbow Gardens in Port Alberni and Veterans Memorial Lodge at Broadmead in Victoria.
The Interior Health region has four seniors' facility outbreaks, at:
• McKinney Place Residential Care Facility in Oliver;
• Mountainview Village in Kelowna;
• Sun Pointe Village in Kelowna; and
• Village by the Station in Penticton.