Numerous cooling centres have opened in Burnaby as a heat wave hits the region.
As of 10 a.m. today (July 25), four facilities across the city are now acting as places for anyone seeking relief from the extreme heat expected throughout this week.
Cooling centres will be open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily until the heat has subsided, and are at the following locations:
- Cameron Community Centre (9523 Cameron St.)
- Eileen Dailly Leisure Pool and Fitness Centre (240 Willingdon Ave.)
- Bonsor Recreation Complex (6550 Bonsor Ave.)
- Edmonds Community Centre (7433 Edmonds St.)
Cooling centres are equipped with air-conditioning, seating, drinking water, washrooms and free public wireless internet.
In addition, the Society to End Homelessness have two pop-up outdoor locations in Burnaby:
- Civic Square
- Central Boulevard and McKay Avenue, outside Bon Prittie Metrotown Library
- 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
- Kensington Park
- Corner of Frances Street and Fell Avenue
- 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily