Ted Townsend will don his runners on Sunday as one of the Man in Motion medal bearers honouring the Rick Hansen 25th Anniversary Relay. The City of Richmond senior manager of corporate communications said he was flattered and humbled.
To me, knowing Rick Hansens willpower and his belief that if you put your mind to it you can do anything, is incredibly motivational, said Townsend, who only recently learned he was chosen. Not only is Rick a strong representative for the disabled everywhere, but right here in Richmond he coaches sports teams and has been very involved in saving the sturgeon.
Townsend is one of 7,000 medal bearers. On Sunday, May 20 at around 12:15 p.m., he will carry the medal along No. 5 Road near the Lingyen Mountain Buddhist Temple. Each medal bearer will carry the commemorative Rick Hansen medal for about 250 metres, as part of the relays 12,000-kilometre cross-country trek.
For more information about Richmonds Relays End of Day celebrations, which will be held at the Richmond Olympic Oval beginning at 3:30 p.m., visit www.richmond.ca.
There will be live entertainment by Richmond native, Canadian Tenors Fraser Walters, as well as sport displays and demonstrations. Official ceremonies begin at 5 p.m. For more relay information, visit www.RickHansenRelay.com.
Day 271 (May 20)
11:35 a.m. to 12:07 p.m.:
- Olympic figure skater Patrick Chan will join Rick Hansen at McDonalds, 400-11668 Steveston Hwy, for the Sponsor Stop
1 p.m. and 3 p.m.:
- The Wheelchair Basketball Final Championship Game will be played at Richmond Olympic Oval, 6111 River Rd. Gold medal gmaes are at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. with the awards presentation at 4 p.m. The presentation includes team trophies and medals for the mens and/or womens division.
4:30 to 5:30 p.m.:
- The End of Day Celebration will be held at the Olympic Oval Plaza, 6111 River Rd. Hansen, the relay convoy and final medal bearer are set to arrive at 5 p.m. The City of Richmond is partnering in hosting the event, which will include entertainment, sport demonstrations and participants in the national wheelchair basketball tournament. Hansen will speak at the closing ceremony.
Notable medal bearers
4:45 p.m. Patrick Chan
4:51 p.m. John Furlong
4:54 p.m. Mayor Malcolm Brodie
4:57 p.m. Vince Miele (final Richmond medal bearer, nominated by city)
Day 272 (May 21)
- The relay will resume at the Olympic Oval Plaza at 6:55 a.m.
- The relay medal bearer will travel via the Canada Line to showcase transit accessibility, from Bridgeport Station at 7:50 a.m.
- Arrival at Marine Drive Station at 8:11 a.m.
- The relay arrives in Vancouver at 8:17 a.m.
© Copyright 2013